The Gonal-f Pen is preloaded with medication and ready to use. It contains gonadotropin hormone (follitropin alfa injection) produced by recombinant DNA technology (rDNA). It consists of recombinant human follicle stimulating hormone (r-hFSH) with no luteinizing hormone (LH) or urinary proteins.
The amount of medication given and the length of the treatment may vary from patient to patient.The drug is injected under the skin as recommended by your Fertility Specialist.
Contraindications to use the Gonal-f Pen
If you are pregnant or breast–feeding If you have primary ovarian failure If you have unexplained bleeding from the vagina or uterus If you have ever been diagnosed as having ovarian, uterine or breast cancer If you have a pituitary tumor or other brain tumor If you have uncontrolled thyroid or adrenal gland problems
If you have an allergy to r-hFSH preparations or any one of the following: sucrose, sodium phosphate, methionine, meta-cresol, poloxamer 188, sodium hydroxide or o-phosphoric acid?
Ease of use Ready to use Simplicity and reliability of dosing mechanism
The pen has a visual confirmation scale that lets you know the precise dose you set is ready to inject, reducing the chance of dosing errors.
Common side effects include HeadacheAbdominal painEnlarged abdomen
Injection site disorders
Other important considerations
Gonal-f Pen can cause serious side effects including ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS), with or without lung or blood vessel problems, and multiple births.
Storage of the Gonal-f PenUp to 3 months at room temperature (20 – 25°C / 68 – 77°F) or refrigerate (2 – 8°C / 36 – 46°F), or until expiration date.
After First UseUp to 28 days either at room temperature or refrigerated. Do not freeze
In case you forget to take the daily my dose:
Do not take a double dose to make up for any missed doses. Contact your Fertility Specialist.
Taking other medication with Gonal-f Pen:
Inform your Fertility Specialist first and then your pharmacist if you are taking or have taken any other medications, including those that do not require a prescription.
Gonal-f Pens available in 3 different colors:
Light blue pens are prefilled to deliver 300 IU
Dark blue pens are prefilled to deliver 450 IU
Red pens are prefilled to deliver 900 IU
Gonal-F Pen Subcutaneous Injection:
- Wash and dry hands thoroughly.
- Assemble supplies: one Gonal-F Pen, one needle, one alcohol wipe and one tissue.
- Priming the Pen: FIRST TIME USE ONLY - Attach needle as follows: remove pen cap and wipe threaded tip with alcohol wipe. Remove peel tab from outer needle cap. Press threaded tip of pen into open end of outer needle cap. Remove outer needle cap. Set dose at 37.5. Pull out injection button as far as it will go. Remove inner needle cap and hold pen so needle points upward. Tap pre-filled reservoir to let any air bubbles rise to the top. It is normal if a few small air bubbles remain.
- Keep needle pointing upward and push in injection button completely. Hold until you hear a click. A small amount of liquid should appear from needle tip. If no liquid comes out, reprime the pen until it does. Replace inner needle cap.
- Set the dose as follows: Turn dosage dial so your prescribed dose is lined up with the black dose arrow. Confirm that the correct dose on the dosage dial is lined up with the back dose arrow before proceeding. If the dialed dose is too high or too low, reset before pulling the injection button.
- Load and confirm as follows: Load the dose by pulling out injection button as far as it will go. Confirm correct dose by looking at red dosage confirmation scale. The last visible flat red arrow indicates the loaded dose. If loaded dose is lower than set dose, there is not enough drug to complete the dose. Use new Gonal-F pen to complete dose.
- If set and loaded dose is too low, turn dosage dial to correct dose and pull out injection button again. If set and loaded dose is too high, discard dose by pushing liquid out into safety container and repeat step 5.
- Inject as follows: Clean recommended injection site with alcohol swab and let air dry. Remove inner needle cap. Do not touch needle or allow it to touch any surface. Inject needle into skin at a 90 degree angle and push injection button until it stops clicking. After last click, release pressure. Keep needle in the skin for at least 5 seconds. Remove needle and apply pressure as needed with tissue. Rub gently.